Nightstand Reading List

Survey question: Do you have a stack of books like this on your nightstand? If so, what books are contending for your pre-slumber attention?

Nightstand books

I’ve started and almost finished all of these, but something forces me to bring up new reads before the first one is finished.

• Amaris says:

The Empathy Exams, Pink Globalization: Hello Kitty’s Trek Across the Pacific, and the latest edition of McSweeneys…and I’ve mostly just started all of them.

• Melissa says:

Lately my nightstand books are being largely ignored in favor of the books in my purse, but nightstand books include: As You Wish by Cary Elwes, Americanah by Chimamanda Adichie, and Poster Child by Emily Rapp.

• Laura says:

Several issues of The Missouri Review, Boulevard Women by Lauren Cobb, State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

• JaimeRWood says:

Melissa, I love that you have purse books! I just recently replaced my tiny purse with one big enough to carry books, bottles of kombucha being smuggled into the movies, and fruit. It’s a whole new world!

• Melissa says:

Haha, that sounds awesome! I carry around the big purse to take work back & forth between home & the office, but I also stuff my lunch in there so I don’t have to carry multiple things and feel like a bag lady ;) Right now I’m lugging around Hilary Mantel’s THE ASSASSINATION OF MARGARET THATCHER and a galley of Ben Percy’s new novel, which I really need to finish because the two of them combined are getting heavy ;)

• MelinaCR says:

Jaime….!
    I’ve read some, a little, or a lot of all of these:
    The Complete Book of Spells, Ceremonies, and Magic, Death and the Dervish by Mesa Selimovic, Roxane Gay’s Bad Feminist, bell hooks’ Teaching to Transgress, and Bill Daniel’s Mostly True: The West’s Most Popular Hobo Graffiti Magazine

• JaimeRWood says:

Melina, I’ve been hearing great things about Roxane Gay’s Bad Feminist, and I’m a bell hooks fan. Great list!