Quick hit: 10 literary classics that should be videogames

Found through one of my professional writing friends on Twitter, I bring you Wired Magazine’s 10 Literary Classics that Should be Videogames.

What book do you want to see the game for? (Or does it somehow kill the work to have it put into any type of digital format?)

• Scott Eubanks says:

The Sims 5: The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. To keep Toru Okada happy, you must cook spaghetti, listen to classical music, and obsess about how much yen the train costs. Get bonus points for fighting off the psychic hooker. Befriend neighborhood children and climb down the well to find your missing wife. There’s a secret bonus level, The Lamb Skinner. Toggle your A and X buttons to deglove the flesh from a prisoner of war.

• Asa Maria says:

I’m amazed that it took them this long before they figured out that Dante’s Inferno is perfect for a video game. Circles of hell so directly translates to video game levels.

• Sam Edmonds says:

Strunk & White of the Dead. Zombies approach you with questions floating above their heads, asking whether or not to join independent clauses with commas, for example. If you type in the correct answer, you shoot them in the face. Otherwise, you will be attacked; better hope you have a couple of Charlotte’s Webs to patch up your wounds. Boss zombies force you to unclutter sentences and explain when and how to deploy colloquialisms.

• Brian O'Grady says:

I actually had a Tom Sawyer video game for Nintendo when I was like 8. He rode a raft, he threw rocks, and he fought “Injun Joe.”

• Pete Sheehy says:

I’m usually all for anything that might expose non-reading youngsters to literature, in whatever guise, but I just can’t get behind this. These games will just take the title (or something that sounds a lot like the title) and use it as a launch pad for explosions and gore.

• Kathryn says:

There’s also some shady things that could come out in the games, depending on the book in question. I saw in the comments of the article that someone mentioned what a Lolita game would be like…and that’s just sort of sick.

• TJ Fuller says:

Grand Theft Auto: Yoknapatawpha County. Learn Emily’s secret, bury Vardaman’s mother, and enjoy other Faulknerian adventures.

• Brian O'Grady says:

This also kind of drives home the fact that Wired readers/editors don’t really have an understanding of literature beyond a 201 survey level. Not to be shitty, but Wired is kind of a shitty magazine. I can’t understand if the Invisible Man entry is supposed to be a joke or what.

I was surprised there was no Ayn Rand on that list, given how Wired readership skews Galt. Maybe Ayn Rand is too sacrosanct to sully around with trashy entertainment for basement dwellers with Dorito addictions.

• Brendan says:

The Odyssey by Homer. It basically writes/ programs (?) itself.